Happy First Father's Day

Hi there!

Ah, Father's Day. It was the first one for my husband and I had the most awesome idea. I made a rocket ship gift box for his present from the Sweet Baby. Let me tell you the story behind this. Every morning he takes the Sweet Baby to daycare. When I put him in his car seat and they leave, my husband always calls him "Goose" as in the co-pilot from Top Gun (my husband's all-time favorite movie). I wracked my brain trying to come up with way to make a little, paper F-16 but just couldn't manage it.

Then I thought rocket ship.....


And here you have it. It's about 9" tall when you go to the top of the little antenna. I used the bottom of the chocolate covered strawberry from SVG Cuts Sweets For My Sweet kit. The top of the rocket is slightly bigger that the bottom so they would fit together. Rather than assemble the bottom completely, I glued the first set of tabs on the longest section and then folded the rest of the sections flat to from the bottom of the ship.



To break up the surface of the rocket I stamped the little atom from the October Afternoon Rocket Age stamp set, embossed it, added some red Stickles to the middle, and then fussy cut them. I mounted them on my small red strips with a pop dot and then added some small silver Stickles dots to look like rivets.


On each panel of the rocket there is a stamped, embossed image from the Rocket Age stamp set. Let me just take a moment to tell you how AWESOME the customer service at October Afternoon is. Rocket Age is a line from a couple of years ago. I'd been hoarding it and decided to use it for this project. I got about halfway through and realized I either needed the rub-ons for that set or the stamps. I scoured to internet and couldn't find either. Just one a whim I posted on October Afternoon's Facebook page hoping someone would be willing to part with either one from their stash. Instead, Ann from October Afternoon contacted me and let me know she could get me the stamp set. I had it in my hands two days later. Best. Customer. Service. EVER!


The antenna is just a corsage pin that I colored red with a Copic marker. Sadly, this is the only thing I can successfully with a Copic marker....


The legs of the rocket were made from an arch in the basic shapes in eCal. I used the edit points function to stretch and manipulate the shape into what I envisioned for the rocket. I cut each leg 6 times and glued them together to give them some strength. I accented the edges of the legs with a silver Krylon leaf pen.


The little "boosters" on the bottom are also made from the bottom of the strawberry. Instead of attaching the two halves together I folded them into a square and attached them to the bottom of the rocket with brads. The flames are also one of the basic shapes in eCal. I stacked them with small pop dots in between and slipped them inside the boosters.


Inside the rocket, we put two ties and a gift card for Starbucks.


This is the matching card. I used the Rocket Age paper again for the base and the accents on the rocket. The rocket is from SVG Cuts Jonathan's Bears kit. I added one of the rubber charms from October Afternoon and used my eClips to write the sentiment.



And here's the inside sentiment. (My husband teared up a little...)


For my gift to him, I used SVG Cuts My Day With Dad kit to make the perfectly simple gift card box.


My paper for this is from DCWV's Guy Stack. I used some flat, metal embellishments I had on hand to kind of look like rivets.


The sentiment and little bear are from the Jonathan's Bears kit as well.


There you have it! It may be quiet around here for the rest of the summer. We are prepping to move the middle of July and I'm going to have to start packing my craft room. I'm totally NOT looking forward to that, but I may end up with more craft space at our new place!

Hope to see you all again soon!

Supplies:

October Afternoon Rocket Age Paper: Deep Space Probe (12x12), Return Voyage (12x12), All Systems Go (8x8)
October Afternoon Rocket Age Stamp Set
Silver Paper: Wausau
Plain Cardstock: Bazzill
DCWV The Guy Stack
ColorBox White Chalk Ink
Krylon Silver Leaf Pen
Stickles



Comments

Popular Posts